Prepper Travel 101: Part 1

11:06 PM


In the next few months, I’ll be releasing several new books. This has been a slow year for me, and there are several reasons for that.

Firstly, I’ve been focusing on my personal clients. In addition to writing prepper and minimalist books, I also create websites for other people. This takes up a lot of my time and unfortunately, it currently pays better and more regularly than eBooks. (This isn’t always the case, but it is at the moment.)

Secondly, I’ve had to decide how I’ll deal with the Kindle Unlimited 2 fallout. Amazon is one of my favorite websites to use as a customer, reader, and author, but with the changes to Kindle Unlimited, I’ll be pulling all of my books from the program. I originally loved KU because it enabled readers to easily and inexpensively discover new authors. As an author, I loved it because the pay was fairly solid and decent. With the new changes, which were designed so that novelists made more money than short story writers, everyone has suffered. Even my lengthy books have taken a pay cut and as a result, I will no longer be participating in the program.

Finally, we’ve been moving overseas! In the next few months, you can expect a book on traveling with kids, moving abroad with your family, and a book balancing minimalism with prepping. (Can it be done? I’ll show you how!)

Traveling and Preppers
With all that out of the way, let’s talk about prepping and traveling.

Can you travel and still be a prepper?
Can you travel without hauling a bunch of crap around and still be safe?
Can you explore the world on a budget and still prepare yourself and your family?

Absolutely!

Knowledge is essential
The first thing to remember is that knowledge is everything. Do you know what the climate is like where you’re going? Do you understand local safety hazards? Will you be able to buy supplies where you’re going or do you need to bring them from home?

The first week we were in Taiwan, everyone sweat like crazy. We weren’t used to the heat or walking everywhere we meant, which meant that not only did my husband lose 15 pounds in a month, but we all drank a ton of water. Fortunately, it’s very easy to get water here, but we swapped out boots for sandals and soda for water bottles. We also invested in umbrellas because of the typhoons we’ve been having, but that’s another story for another day.

If you’re going to a new place, especially a foreign country, you need to realize that things will be different. In Taiwan, we can’t just go stand under a sprinkler to cool off. They don’t have them where we live. We can’t just go jump in a lake or take a long, cool shower. Things are different and we’ve had to adapt. Before you leave for your trip, take a look online and talk to other travelers or even expats who live in the area. Ask them what they wish they’d packed and what they can’t live without. That will give you a great starting point for your journey.

Packing light doesn’t mean you don’t pack
Head to your local camping store or visit Cheaper Than Dirt to get some inexpensive safety and survival gear. Many items can double as others and don’t have to take up a lot of space. If you plan to be out of your home country or you'll be in the wilderness during your trip, you'll need to bring more than if you're just traveling locally. 


When we moved, our family of four brought a total of 4 suitcases and 5 bags to last us a year or more. While many travelers will say we brought too much and others will say we brought too little, we packed exactly what we needed to keep us safe and comfortable, but not much more than that. 

You can absolutely pack light and travel the world, but make sure you start with the essentials and work your way from there. For example, I knew I needed to bring hiking boots and sandals for myself since we would be in an area of Taiwan that doesn't have shoes that would fit me. When I looked at my suitcase, I realized I didn't have space for other things that would be nice to have, but that I didn't really need. This was fine. I ditched the high heels and the pretty, lace-up knee-high boots, and instead focused on functional, sturdy shoes that would last a long time.

That's all for today! Check back soon for more thoughts on being a simple traveler.

You Might Also Like

0 comments